i got these magical tips from Wikihow, my favorite site. ๐ย
- Hair: Get your hair done. Hair is the most important. If you can, get it done at a professional salon. Go to hair salon only if you want to change your hair, like a different style or color, or anything related. Choose a style that goes with the shape of your face. If you are NOT going to salon, then ask your friend, sister, cousin, whoever, to do your hairstyling. You can do it yourself, but it can be very difficult. A few subtle changes are fine if you are afraid with having an “extreme” hair makeover.
- Hair Color: Under no circumstances is only blond beautiful! Yes, blond is beautiful, but so are redheads, brunettes, and black-haired girls! Every hair color is beautiful, so be proud of your hair color! If you want to experiment with hair color, but aren’t going to the salon, choose your product wisely. Since there are so many products in the market, it may be hard for you to choose the right product. I would suggest Clairol or L’Oreal, but it doesn’t really matter what brand you choose, as long as the color looks great and natural on you and you’re happy with it! If you go to a salon, don’t be afraid to ask the colorist which color might look best on you. They are professionals, after all, and you want to get your money’s worth! You can also try highlights or lowlights also!
- Teeth: Clean, pearly white teeth make a beautiful smile. Use whitening toothpaste, or better yet, purchase whitening strips, beware, they can be pricey. Do it regularly. If your teeth are crooked, ask your orthodontist about braces. If get braces, don’t be afraid to show it! Getting braces doesn’t mean you are geeky or gross. Just remind yourself: your teeth are on the way to a beautiful smile! If you haven’t gotten braces yet and your teeth are crooked, remember: some guys actually think a little crooked tooth is cute! Braces: take care of them! The better care you take of your braces, the faster they’ll come off! Brush your teeth AT LEAST 2 times a day AND FLOSS!
- Nails: Many girls paint their nails by themselves, but damage them in the process. Although there’s nothing wrong with painting your nails by yourself, if you do it in a wrong way, it damages your cuticle and your nails. The right way? Start by trimming your nails with a clipper and filing them. Then clean your nails with nail polish remover and wash them with soap and warm water. Soak your fingers in warm water for 3-6 minutes. Rub cuticle oil into your nail beds and GENTLY push back cuticles with a cuticle stick. NEVER CUT CUTICLES unless you have hangnails. Then apply a base coat. Let it dry, then apply a coat of colored polish, starting on the left side, then center, then the right side of you nail. Let it dry, then apply a second coat. Then finish with a clear topcoat. Try your best not to touch your skin or cuticle when applying nail polish. It takes pretty long to do all of them by yourself. That’s why many people get their nails done professionally! Fake nails are definitely not recommended! Your real nails are dying underneath those fake ones!
- Lips: Whether you have full lips like Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson, or you have lips that are on the smaller side, you have to keep them healthy and moisturized! Get a lip balm. Many people get Chapstick, but if your lips are chapped and it’s winter, get Carmex. Almost every drugstore sells them, and they’re very inexpensive. Keep your lips vibrant and shiny by applying a coat of Vaseline everyday. Seriously, it makes your lips super-shiny, but it doesn’t last that long. Still, it keeps your lips healthy, soft, and supple. If you have lips that are on the smaller side (but keep in mind some guys find them very cute!), and you want to make it appear fuller, dot a concealer on the center of your bottom lip. I learned this from my cousin, and it really works.
- Scent: Perfumes and deodorants = good. Too much of them = bad. Many girls use deodorant to get rid of the body odor. Pick a scent that smells good and reflects your personality. Like, if you are very outgoing, pick a flirty one. Or if you want to appear sexy, pick a musky one, etc. Fragrances. Nowadays, there are so many good fragrances out there, that it’s really hard to choose one! Get ones that you like. I don’t really “prefer” designer ones, though. Be sure to only apply perfume so that if a person is next to you, they can smell it and not smell it from a mile away! Go to a department store for more options, and test those perfumes. Found what you like? Then go to a drugstore and buy the perfume you love, for much cheaper price! Many drugstores carry the exact same fragrances as department stores.
- Tanning: Tanning outside will cause numerous freckles(although I think a few freckles on face are super adorable), wrinkles, and, possibly skin cancer. Always wear sunblock when outside for long periods, especially during 12-4PM. The sunblock should protect you from both UVAs and UVBs, not just UVBs. You should consider self-tanning if you don’t want to risk skin damage. In fact, self-tanners are getting better and better. You won’t have to worry about ending up streaky or orange anymore. If you want to use a self-tanner, exfoliate, spray or rub, then let dry. I’d recommend mixing your self tanner with a bit of moisturizing cream.
- Makeup: There are two unbreakable rules in the world of makeup. 1) Less is definitely more. This means don’t pile makeup on your face. You are beautiful already. So why wear a mask and hide your face behind makeup? Especially if you are a teen who is just starting to figure out what to do with that cream-to-powder foundation and translucent loose powder! 2) Show off your best features, draw attention away from the the ones you don’t like. For the rule 2, show off your best features. Sure, you must keep your makeup natural, but don’t be afraid to play up your beautiful eyes sometimes. That doesn’t mean that you have to wear green glitter eyeshadow, though. If you want to play up a feature, then go for it! But keep the rest natural.
- Health: Health is key! Here are some tips to keep yourself healthy: *Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. *Work out at least 3 times a week, 30 minutes a day. *Take a shower or bath everyday. *Eat LOTS of green vegetables, fish, and fruits. *Study shows that many people in the US ingest too much salt and sugar. Even if you don’t live in America, you should cut out some salt and sugar if you are ingesting too much of them. Yes, you need a little amount of them, but too much is not good. *Don’t drink or smoke. You may drink wine at special occasions.
- Hygiene: This is really crucial. Let’s say you met a beautiful woman. Her hair is perfectly trimmed, her clothes look adorable, and her makeup makes her look like Jessica Alba. But when she smiles, you can smell something really gross, and you saw a piece of spinach stuck in her front teeth. Her hair looks oily and looks like she never washed her hair. Her nails are dirty and look like she hasn’t trimmed them in past 3 months. Get it? See, hygiene is so important! So brush your teeth at least twice a day, take a bath or shower everyday, and trim your nails! Yes, you can grow them, but keep them clean.
- Fashion: You don’t have to shop at Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus to feel totally fashionable. You don’t have to wear Citizens of Humanity jeans to look beautiful. You don’t have to buy Ralph Lauren tops to make you feel like a million. Create your own style. Just because everyone wears Abercrombie and Fitch, doesn’t mean you have to! In the fashion world, you have to be creative and be yourself. Wear clothes in totally unexpected ways!! Like,wearing a micromini over a pair of skinny jeans, wearing that chainbelt as a necklace, etc. If anyone says you are weird or something, ignore it. You want to wear those clothes. Who cares? Be yourself. Flaunt your style! Who cares if your butt is huge or your chest is too flat? It’s beautiful! Layer a bold, bright belt over a simple top to show off your waist, or wear a pair of jeans with a lot of beads and prints on the pocket to show off your butt. Love your body,and be proud! Thrift shop is one of the best place to find funky, retro clothing. You can find totally adorable things there, and who knows? You might find a designer piece there, although you don’t have to wear them. One time, I found a beautiful authentic Louis Vuitton wallet for almost nothing!
- Skin: Many teens and some adult women suffer from acne. Don’t pop a pimple, because it can cause a scar. Wash promptly with cleansers that contain salicylic acid, and use products such as Proactiv can get rid of that acne. Exfoliate at least once a week, especially on your knees and elbows. Don’t wash your face more than 2 times a day,or -if you have oily skin- 3 times a day, because it can dry out your face. Always moisturize your skin, even if you have a super-oily skin(you can use an oil-free moisturizer). Remove all the makeup after you get home to let your skin breathe. For those gross-looking elbows and knees….one word: Exfoliate. Cut a lemon in half and massage your elbows/knees with it for 15-20 minutes. Moisturize with cocoa butter. If you can, use a face mask once a week, and take a warm bath at least once a week. It’s relaxing.
- Acne: Prevent acne before it appear! Exfoliate and moisturize your skin. Just because you have acne doesn’t mean that you don’t have to moisturize. In fact, moisturizing your skin is really important even if you have acne. If you have acne and you let your skin dry, then the skin will produce more oils and therefore, it’ll lead to even MORE acne! Some people say if you apply a dab of toothpaste on your acne, it will dry out. Sometimes.I’ve tried this and it really dried some of my acnes out, and some of them shrunk. But if you do this too much, it will just irritate your skin. Instead, shrink a zit with an ice pack. Cover the ice pack with a washcloth and hold it against your zit for couple of minutes. But if your pimples just won’t go away, see a dermatologist.
- Jewelry: You can buy perfectly pretty jewelry from Claire’s. Some people think Claire’s is just for kids and young teens,but I’ve seen some girls who looked like they were in their 20’s there too. You can find cute accessories there for cheap prices. Another place to shop for accessories is Forever 21. Forever 21 sells some cute clothes for teens and women in their early 20’s as well. Want real gold or silver, not plastic? If you have a limited budget, go to Sears or Kohl’s. If you can afford some expensive things, TiffanyCo. is your answer. Their accessories are world-famous, and their accessories LOOK really elegant and expensive. But seriously, who needs designer accessories to feel fashionable? If you want one, then you can buy one. If you can’t afford or don’t want one, that’s totally fine. Don’t buy them then!
- Handbags: Handbags can add a touch of glam on any outfit. You don’t have to get a designer bag. Get ones that looks fashionable. Nobody is going to look down on you because you don’t have a Balenciaga purse. Thinking of investing on a designer handbag? Some people say it’s a waste of money, while others say it will save your money since you can carry them forever. I personally think it is NOT a waste of money, since they’re really good quality and last a long time. Dooney&Bourke is a very nice and affordable brand, still, it’s designer. Coach and Betsey Johnson are considerable as well. Or you can go to retailers such as Marshall’s and T.J Maxx. They sell designer pieces, for 35%-80% off.One time, I saw a little cute Dooney& Bourke bag for $60.
- Body: You are more than the numbers on your scale. You can be curvy, or thin, and it’s totally fine as long as you are healthy and happy with your body. Be happy with your body. You don’t have to have a Nicole-Richie-thin body (unhealthy much?!). If you are truly confident and happy, you are beautiful no matter what size you wear. Still, it’s good to work out, since it will keep you healthy and energized. Work out at least 3 days a week. You can get a gym membership if you want, but you don’t have to. Curves is a really good gym, since there’ll be no creepy 50-year-old men who will stare at you while you sweat. It’s female-only, so you can’t meet your boyfriend at the gym, but still you can go with your girl friends! YMCA amd JCC are also considerable. They both have a variety of facilities, from basketball court to an indoor pool. You can walk/run around your neighborhood while listening to your iPod, walk your dog(or better yet, walk your neighbor’s dog and make some money!), play Dance Dance Revolution if you have one, or play tennis/soccer/whatever with your friends. You can try yoga or pilates at home to get abs and muscles. Have fun with it!
- Have a good posture. It’s good for you and makes you appear taller and more confident.
- Get shiny hair by rinsing your hair with cold water.
- Be confident.Confidence is what every glamour girls have.
- Party, but don’t do drugs. It’s very hard to quit drugs. And those drugs affect your brain. Doing drugs to look “cool”? If you do that, you’re deadly mistaken. And those drugs will never get you true friends. Real glamour girls never smoke or do drugs!
- Smile =). Who doesn’t love a warm, gorgeous smile?
- Be nice to everyone. Even you think the person is not really “cool”, you have to be polite and nice to the person.
- Read many good books. Even if you are not in school anymore, you can still read books and learn! You don’t have to be a bookworm. But you can’t just read nothing but your favorite magazines and nutrition facts!
- Rest. If you feel tired, relax. Take a warm bath, listen to music, watch your favorite movie, take a nap, enjoy a free makeover from a nearby makeup counter, etc.
- Do not be a trend-chaser. Be a trendsetter. However, if you decided that you don’t want to follow trends, that’s really fine.
- Be yourself. People can tell whether you are faking or not. Nobody likes a phony.
- Plan an all-girls night. Sometimes just being away from boys, school, and other distractions will help you bring out your inner self. Be flirty, fun, and neat!
- Don’t dress slutty. Guys don’t like trashy girls, and if they are interested, they are only interested in your BODY. And if you dress trashy, it looks like you are addicted to attention and trying too hard to get attention.
- Watch your cup at parties. Some people will try to slip something into it. Some drugs are colorless and odorless, and it will be almost impossible to know if someone slipped that kind of drugs into your cup if you don’t watch your cup. Or better yet, bring your own drink and don’t let anyone hold it for you.
- Don’t prejudice other people. It’s really nasty to others. Especially when you generalize other people based on their race, religion, age, or sex. Real glamour girls never prejudice others.
- Don’t sleep around. Don’t disgrace yourself.
- It’s not important to find a boyfriend, but if you do make sure he is a respectable, nice boy. Don’t let him treat you badly because how you are treated will reflect upon yourself.
- Never let other people take over your life. You are the boss of your life.
- Your inner beauty is important, not only in your heart! While no one likes a know-it-all, teaching and enlightening others is a beautiful and sexy thing. Your mind should be as beautiful as the rest of you — clear, intelligent, and sharp. What’s more glamorous — sitting on your couch playing video games all day and night, or traveling the world discussing cures for diseases?
- Don’t starve yourself to be thin. Thinness is over-rating and is never worth self-deprivation.